Thursday, May 08, 2008

Seoul Secrets

Ugh.  What is it about alcohol and me?  I had four beers, over four hours and I feel like I've been hit by a truck.  Seriously, I have not had that much to drink in one night in years and the lesson is well learned.

Of course, it simply could be that I haven't had enough sleep.  I have yet to sleep in and get on Korea time.   I usually am asleep by eight or nine, and up by four.   Last night I pushed myself to stay up until after eleven.  I still got up at 5:30 AM.

And then it might be a hangover.  As I said, I don't usually drink much, so four beers in a single night is a lot for me.  I'm chugging water as I hope my eye balls will stop feeling like they want to jump out of my head.  I think this is the real reason I usually only have one drink in any given night.  My poor liver.

So about last night -- One of my co-workers who I have never met but have had a very long phone relationship with asks me to join him and his buddies at the bar.  It is Thursday night and I figure I should see the night life here at least once, and I decide I will have some fun too.  I meet up the group and we are in this little shack of a bar.  The beer is like $2 and crappy, but we sit around chat, get a bit inebriated, shoot darts (or watch in my case), and have a bit of food.  Now, I say something to the affect of "Where is everyone?"  Apparently, people are responsible sometimes, and when they are it seems to happen as a group effort.  So really the streets where not that crowded.  Usually, or so I'm told, on the weekend (Thursday is the start of the weekend -- didn't you know that?) it gets much more crowded.

The group thought it would be "fun" to show the darker side of Seoul.  They wanted me to meet the "Juicy Girls" who come over and "talk" with you if you buy them a 20,000 won drink.  Fortunately, that didn't happen.  If you have a woman in your group they tend to leave you alone.  Thank God for Laura.  I think just walking down the alley of "bars" where these girls hid behind not so tinted glass with a not so hidden agenda was enough of the seedy side.  I felt thankful that one of the guys in the group who had no girlfriend was drawing a line in what bars he was comfortable with, and that made it easier to walk away from the "peer pressure."  must have though my discomfort would be entertaining.  It probably could have been.  They were a nice group of people for sure.

After four hours of drinking and checking out the local night life I was ready to go back to my room and get some sleep.  You already know how that worked out for me.   I think tonight, I will probably put on my camera and go take some pictures, avoid alcohol, and watch the people.  One of the guys in the group had a Nikon D300 which took some pretty nice looking pictures.  I didn't take it last night, and I would have liked to get some additional pictures before heading home.

So maybe there will be one more Seoul Adventure.

No comments: